7 tips for spirituality – Making a connection
This article on tips for spirituality arises as a result of work done with people in recovery from addictions. However, the concepts are applicable to almost everyone. The question is often asked, what can I do to improve my spirituality?
Addiction can be seen as a disease of isolation, disconnecting from life. Addiction recovery and spirituality can be seen as the process of connecting. The more connections in our lives, the greater the possibility of coming into harmony with our surroundings.
There are basically four areas of life, or types of relationships, that we work to connect with. Positive spirituality can be seen as having a healthy relationship and positive self-esteem with yourself in the first place. Second, there is the relationship you can have or want to develop with whatever form of Higher Power is right for you. It can be God, Nature, a Force of the Universe, it depends on you. Note that we are not mixing religion with this idea of spirituality. The third is to develop healthy connections or spirituality in relationships with family. Finally, there is the area that is a kind of general community. This includes casual relationships, work, social situations, etc.
Here are 7 tips for spirituality that are very specific areas for development. It is very important to be working in each area, setting specific goals that are measurable and achievable. Instead of saying ‘I’ll start meditating’, say ‘I’ll spend 10 minutes before breakfast and 10 minutes after dinner just reading the meditation for the day’.
Without any more preambles:
1. Use personal prayer and/or meditation. This is a quiet time to start developing time for yourself and to take stock of how things are going in your life.
2. Spend time in groups. This could be attending a worship service, singing in a choir, performing in a play, or any group with positive interaction and direction. This improves our ability to develop relationships with other people.
3. Spend time learning. Grow your mind. This could be taking some classes at the community college, book study groups, self-help, or mental health material.
4. Take time for yourself. Plan a quiet day just for you, away from family and work. Enjoy the tranquility. There are many retreat areas where you can find a peaceful setting to recharge.
5. Physical fitness and proper nutrition. There is a very satisfying feeling that comes from taking care of yourself physically. Get in shape to be the best person you can be.
6. Recreation. Enjoy some activity just for fun. Explore hobbies, sports, whatever you like, but make time for it. Don’t plan to ‘do it someday’. Just do it.
7. Be of service. Do some volunteer work or engage in random acts of kindness. It really feels good and boosts self-esteem to help someone without thinking about the reward. This is a cosmic win-win situation.
We hope we have given you some ideas on how to improve your relationships with yourself and with others. The key is to take action. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Why not take steps to improve your spiritual connection?